Friday, October 10, 2014
Thursday, October 02, 2014
Norway, though, has always seemed to me to be a sensible country, with a high regard with social welfare, except for lutefisk. I'm also a big fan of their traditional policies concerning England.
Can anyone name an umbrella sports organization at this point which is not essentially a criminal enterprise?
Wednesday, September 24, 2014
Women Who Want to be Alone in Western Art History
My absolute favorite is "WHAT" although "I can almost reach my lute" is a close runner-up.
H/t Deadspin, which also provided this heartwarming retrospective.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Monday, September 22, 2014
Wednesday, September 03, 2014
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
UPDATE 8/29: Hi, Dave S. here. I read the obit via other means and immediately fixed the link so that others might learn about this character.
Thursday, July 10, 2014
In related news, NBC had a backup plan in case Hernandez failed to produce. That would have been a good show in and of itself as opposed to one of the greatest hours of television ever broadcast.
*The only true part of that is the move. It was all above-board, Cal built an awesome park for the team plus miniature ballparks for his affiliated Little League teams whose beneficence Bryan has experienced first hand we love you Cal!
***Guy's a total saint.
As always, when enjoying a craft beer, raise a toast to History's Greatest Monster for deregulating the brewing industry and making all of this possible. On a (literally) related note, I was delighted to learn recently, via cleaning out my mother's basement, that Billy Beer was produced by (among others) what became the Matt Brewing Company, whose fine products Laura, CRH, and Mrs. JJV will soon be sampling in their native environment. Circle of Life, baby!
Saturday, July 05, 2014
Friday, June 27, 2014
Saturday, June 21, 2014
Saturday, May 03, 2014
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
- MCU Park will known as Vandelay Industries Park for one night only.
- Mailmen in uniform get to throw out a ceremonial first pitch ("Hello Newman!")
- Anyone who has a business card indicating that they are in fact a "Latex Salesman" will also receive a free ticket to the game. If we call the number and it's some apartment on the Upper East Side, you won't qualify for the freebie.
- Fans can visit the information table for an "airing of grievances."
- Closest to the pin / whale's blow hole competition ("Is that a Titleist?")
- The foul poles will be known as Festivus Poles.
- "Low-Talking" PA Announcer.
- Elaine Dancing Contest
- Everyone Runs the Bases Post-game...but anyone named Jerry gets a head start (Take that Duncan Meyer).
- Game of "Risk" on the Concourse
- Cereal eating contests
- Anyone named George Costanza will be allowed to join our radio broadcast as a color analyst for an inning
- Players in puffy shirts for batting practice.
The original piece in which the above was referenced is a great example of "I'm Keith Hernandez..." The woman actually looks a bit like Elaine Benes.
And, because "The Boyfriend" is still one of the greatest things I have ever seen on TV, I have to throw this is in as well:
OK, OK, fine, one more, if you insist:
Wednesday, April 09, 2014
That is extremely silly and I expect the Colonel to show up at any time to put a stop to it.
And now for something completely the inspiration for the above:
Special thanks to Nick C. for allowing me to exercise right of first refusal on posting this.